Introduction and BIG question

Hi Everyone!

I've been all over the Internet reading about WLS and I'm just a beginner, so bear with me.
Was really thrilled to have found the MA state board and I've already flagged a few docs.

Here's my big question:  It seems that the food intake post-op is very similar to a standard
WL program.  I must be missing something but it seems that if I ate in the ways that most post-op patients to, I'd lose the weight ... w/out the surgery?

What did the surgery do that changing eating could not?

That said, I've gained and lost a lot, mostly on low-carb eating plans where one slip up (my weaknesses are for pasta, potatoes, etc., not sweets) gets me gaining again.

Thanks in advance for your experience and wisdom!
Sue M.
on 2/11/09 11:37 pm - Nantucket, MA

Here are the differences for me:
Quick resolution of my diabetes - no meds after 3 days.  When I'm not fighting the blood sugar, weight comes off easier, even without the surgery...but the surgery is what cured the diabetes.

Could not overeat even if i WANTED to since my pouch will spit it out

No diet would allow me to eat so little and be satisfied

I'm generally not hungry at all.  I just eat because its on the schedule

I know that I underwent MAJOR surgery to help me - I'm working really hard to stay healthy (which means not doing things that would hurt my pouch early out) and practice good habits so that when I'm a year out I'm used to eating less and eating better.

DUMPING.  Not only am I not eating bread, rice or pasta (my loves) because they get in the way of fitting in my protein, but I'm not eating any sugar since I dump on it.  my sweet tooth has been kicked in the butt.

I never really dieted in my life, I just accepted my weight, but I got to the point where I could not accept my health the way it was.  Now that the weight is coming off in leaps and bounds, I'm trying to take advantage of the new found energy and body and want to keep it going because some of the health issues will resurface if I gain it back.  It's strange to have this other conscience in my head reminding me why I want to make the right choices. 

I look forward to hearing how this is different for other people. 

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Thanks, Sue.  I appreciate your experiences.  I'm still so ambivalent about this kind of surgery.  I read a lot that is so encouraging, then I read about scary experiences post-op and that stops me in my tracks.

I guess what I need is perspective!  Thanks!
jayner
on 2/12/09 12:30 am - Littleton, MA

hi,

I chose surgery for two main reasons. The first was the diabetes connection that Sue mentioned. I was taking seven pills daily to manage my diabetes. I left the hospital totally off of those seven pills. My blood sugars are consistently in the 80's now.

The other reason was a statistic that was mentioned at the two wight loss surgery introductory sessions that I attended. (This is what I remember and may not be the exact quote or numbers...) "That for someone who is morbidly obese, the success rate five years out after losing weight by diet alone is about 4%." What a sad statistic. I have been dieting all of my life. I ended up heavier every time. I never kept any of the weight off for very long.

My surgery was nine months ago on Saturday. I have lost - 28 pounds in the time between my first visit until my surgery and 71 pounds since my surgery. I feel awsome. I am healthy.

Eating has changed. Your pouch is small. Your body needs protein. When you eat, you eat the protein first. Hunger is usually head hunger. I dealt with my eating issues in years of therapy prior to my surgery. Sometimes it rears it's ugly head in the evening. Sometimes I give in. If I make bad choices, my pouch gets angry and I suffer. I have dumped occasionally - I mostly get foamies and belch. 

Go to several introductory sessions. Listen to what others have to say. Use this forum. Read about those *****gret having their surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jayne 

Thank you Jayner:

"That for someone who is morbidly obese, the success rate five years out after losing weight by diet alone is about 4%." What a sad statistic. I have been dieting all of my life. I ended up heavier every time. I never kept any of the weight off for very long
."

This makes sense!  I am able to eat low carb, feel great, work out, but *something* triggers falling back to the white stuff.  I don't think I'm an emotional eater; I don't eat from stress or sadness, etc. But I do think I'm physically addicted to carbs.  I've read and eaten Atkins/South Beach and that's when I feel best.  Getting there is not the problem, but staying there is.  And it's the very physical hunger that kicks in once I get just a taste of refined carbs. 

As you saying the surgery makes it much more difficult to fall back into old ways because one's stomach is smaller?  Or do you just make a bigger psychological shift?

Also, would love to hear where in MA people have had their surgeries -- but will start another thread about that.  At the moment I'm trying to choose between Lahey and Emerson Hospitals ... leaning toward Lahey.

You're all great and I'm thrilled to have found such a comprehensive site! 
purplefans
on 2/12/09 1:05 am - MA
It's true that the food intake similar.  I found that everything that i'm eating now, and quantities, are very similar to what the dieticians, weigh****chers, etc. have been telling me for years.  Only now I can do it, without feeling that I'm missing something.   I now eat quality, not quantity.  I always exercised, and tried for years to conquer the weight battle.   I also do not have the cravings I'd get before (except for salty crunch during that time..).  I'm only 6 months out.    Nothing tastes as food as thin feels.    That said, it is major surgery, and there are risks.  Our town just lost a very good person as a result of the surgery.   I myself have not had any real problems, except those discussed in the meetings, such as hair loss, etc.  I am very grateful that the surgery was successful. 

Claudined
on 2/12/09 2:18 am - Malden, MA

I asked my Doctor the exact same question during my first appointment; he told me after surgery it is like someone switches something in your brain and it's not only that you don't want to eat, but you can't eat too much. 

I never had the will power to stick to a diet for long enough, and the weight just didnt' come off.  Initially the food intake is very minimal, much less than a standard diet.  I am 3 years post RNY and I feel like now I eat a standard WW diet.  The surgery was a tool that helped me do it,  it is still hard work but it's different now, I was successful and am motivated to maintian the success.

I guess in an answer to your question, the surgery helped me change my eating habits, which then changed my weight.

Good luck in your journey!

rockysmom
on 2/12/09 7:37 am - Dartmouth, MA
I had the same thoughts, especially when the nutritionist went over the diet with me the first time.  I'm only 10 months out - so I'm still in the early stages.  The big difference is that my hunger is controlled.  For the first few months there is no appetite at all -- I could barely eat a few bites of food.  Now, I do get hungry ( and I do crave the carbs too), but it is MUCH easier to control - and I'm satisfied with small amounts.  I physically can not stuff myself -- absolutely impossible to "pig out" on a big plate of food.  I was a very successful dieter in the past, but always gained it back again.  My reason for having surgery was that I was so discouraged and beaten by losing and gaining the weight back again, that I could not even get myself back on a diet.  -- Even with the bad back & hip pain from arthritis, sore heels, high cholesterol, headaches and no energy I was suffering from.  All are gone now!  I feel and look terrific -  I have lost 89 pounds in 10 months.  I don't dump -- seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of sweets and fats.  I have had a few episodes of the foamies -- you eat too fast, don't chew enough, or just eat something that is tough to get down.  It's pretty awful, but it's only happened 3 times -- a small price to pay.  I am very happy and satisfied with the diet I am following.  I don't miss anything.  If things continue to go along as they have been, I expect to be thin and healthy for the rest of my life.
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 9:33 am - Togo
wls puts your body in a place where it must conform to losing weight.

whereas changing eating habits or picking different foods is a choice. after wls that choice is pretty much taken away from you.

the post op diet if adhered would cause weight loss on its own. the thing is though, that without the wls surgery it would be difficult to adhere to it. on your own you would want to eat more and eat more often. the wls would provide restriction and keep you from doing that.

Thanks so much *everyone.*  I'm really starting to get it.  Here's a hypothetical.  Say I love Fettucine Alfredo -- which I do.  Post op will I want it?  Will I eat a small portion?  Will my body rebel for doing so? sorry -- couldn't resist.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views